Spider veins are nothing more than dilated veins that are visible through the skin due to their size. While in most cases, this issue is not severe, it does point out the fact that you have poor blood circulation. The problem they raise is mostly aesthetic. However, the following home remedies for spider veins have proven to be effective, so you can use them without worries.
Also, women tend to develop spider veins more often then men do and age is also a factor, as adults and elders are more affected by this condition than young people. Due to their prevalence, many people are constantly looking for a way to get rid of them.
Causes Of Spider Veins
There are several causes that can trigger off spider veins:
- Venous insufficiency;
- Hormonal imbalances in pregnancy, puberty or menopause;
- Standing: occupations involving a lot of standing (factory workers, nurses, hair stylists);
- Birth control pills;
- Blood clots;
Venous insufficiency is the main cause of spider veins, while the others are just consequences of this issue.
What is venous insufficiency? A condition that occurs due to the damage of the valves in the veins that forces blood to pool in leg veins instead of making its journey back to your heart.
Although the presence of spider veins only does not indicate a venous insufficiency, there are other related symptoms leading to this condition: leg swelling, heaviness in the legs, pains and cramps in the legs. Our advice is to seek medical advice if you present painful spider veins. Your physician will determine the causes and propose the appropriate treatment.
The red, purple, blue small veins so visible through your skin are likely to be seen as unattractive and become a disturbing issue for all of us.
While there are certainly a lot of medical options to eliminate them, such as laser therapy and sclerotherapy (see image above), here, at Home Remedies, we are looking to provide our readers with natural, simple, and affordable paths to treat their afflictions.
Below are a few ways you can easily prepare home remedies to treat your spider veins, using natural ingredients. By following our suggestions, you will probably notice a considerable improvement in the visibility of your spider veins and you can also help your circulation, which will help a lot if you also experience symptoms of venous insufficiency.
You may be surprised by how some simple home remedies can get you the well-deserved relief that you’re looking for.
Here’s what you can do to get rid of spider veins:
- Aloe Vera: this is certainly one of the most powerful home remedies for spider veins:
All you need to do is take a leaf of the plant and extract its sticky gel. After that, warm it up a little and apply it to the problematic area, massaging gently. You can use it as a compress at night and throw it away in the morning. Aloe Vera is loaded with nutrients and has anti-inflammatory properties that offer quick relief for swollen and heavy legs;
- Apple, carrot and Aloe Vera vinegar: this one requires a little extra work, but it will be totally worth it:
Blend 1/2 cup of apple vinegar with 1 carrot and Aloe Vera gel (from 3 leaves) until you get an even mixture. Then, apply the mixture to the affected area and let it act for about half an hour. Remove it with plenty of cold water. You may also let the mixture work during the night and rinse it in the morning.
- Garlic: while its smell may bother you, it works as a great home remedy for spider veins! It contains allicin, a compound that can prevent blood vessels from becoming inflamed. So, great news! Prepare yourself this ointment and massage your legs 4 times a week:
Mix 6 crushed garlic cloves with the juice from 3 oranges and 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Let it sit for 12 hours before you apply it.
- Immersion baths with sea salt and apple vinegar:
Dissolve 2 cups of sea salt into 1.5l of warm water and add 1/2 cups of apple vinegar. Simply immerse your feet in this mixture for about 20 minutes. Rinse and towel dry.
- Ginkgo Biloba: thanks to the flavonoids found in this plant, you will experience improved circulation which in turn will help diminish the aspect of your spider veins. This is a natural supplement and you can consume one capsule a day.
- Cypress Essential Oil: a great supporter of the circulatory system; contracts the blood vessels forcing blood to go where it’s supposed to:
Rub 2-3 drops of oil onto the affected area of your legs two times a day for a few weeks and you’ll soon notice some visible improvements of your spider veins appearance. In case you’re curious, there are other usages for this natural remedy as well.
Alternative Home Remedies For Spider Veins
Of course, these are not the only home remedies for spider veins, but they seem to be the most efficient ones. Also, there are other important factors you must take into consideration if you want the above remedies to be as efficient as possible. Here are some useful bits of advice to prevent spider veins but also to help these great natural homemade cures do their best:
- Take a 10-minute break each day: put your legs up (lie in bed or on a sofa) to stimulate the return of blood to the heart and decongest your veins;
- Do activities that stimulate blood circulation such as walking or riding a bicycle;
- Avoid crossing your legs when you sit as this prevents normal circulation;
- Don’t stand down for too long without taking stretch breaks;
- Avoid drinking alcohol, cigarettes, and coffee;
- Control your weight.
The following video also explains how you can treat spider veins and/or improve their aspect.
As you can see, although unpleasant and sometimes painful, spider veins are not to be feared. They have lots of natural enemies that you can use to your advantage.